Frequently Asked Questions
WELCOME TO OUR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
Here you can find answers to our commonly asked questions about
our Junior and Senior Programs.
1. MY CHILD IS NEW TO FIELD HOCKEY, DOES THAT MATTER?
Not at all. New players are welcome every season. In particular, Spring Season is about learning and developing skills in an atmosphere of fun and friendship.
2. HOW ARE THE TEAMS FORMED?
The Vancouver Hawks Field Hockey Club’s (VHFHC) Spring Season program is primarily focussed on skill development, team work, making new social connections, and having fun.
The club has two main priorities for putting together teams:
i) social cohesion
ii) maintaining a balance of new and experienced, weak and strong players on all teams.
The Club Manager assigns Age Group Coordinators to put teams together int he U11-U18 boys and girls age divisions based on these priorities, following this set of guidelines.
- Returning players are automatically placed on their previous team.
- Players from teams that are folding are placed on new teams based on friend requests where possible.
- New players are placed in teams based on friend requests where possible and in order of date received.
- Late registrations are placed on teams as space allows. Friend requests are followed wherever possible.
- Waitlisted players are placed if there is space on any team for them.
3. MY CHILD IS A NEW PLAYER AND WOULD LIKE TO PLAY WITH FRIENDS. WHERE DO I PUT THIS REQUEST ON THE REGISTRATION ?
On the online registration form, you'll find a field in the Additional Player Info section that allows you to enter the name of friends you would like to be on the same team with.
4. WHEN ARE MY CHILD'S PRACTICE & GAME TIMES FOR THE SPRING SEASON?
Practice days and times are set for U5 to U7. For other age groups, team coaches choose the day and time of practices. Once registration is closed, teams will be formed and coaches assigned. Practice schedules will next be completed. If you have a practice conflict, we will do our best to find another team with a practice time that works with your schedule.
5. DO I NEED TO BUY A JERSEY?
U5- U7 Players are expected to have a Hawks t-shirt only. These may be purchased at registration.
U8 - U12 Players wear a Hawks/Kukri junior reversible jersey (red/black). These can be purchased at registration.
U13 – U18 Players wear a Hawks/Kukri adult jersey (white). These can be purchased through registration.
More information on Hawks uniforms may be found here.
6. DO I NEED BLACK AND RED SOCKS?
If your child is playing home and away games they will need the two colours to make it easier for the umpires to differentiate between teams while they are looking down at the turf, ball and sticks. It is very difficult to make a call when both teams are wearing red socks. Your coach may ask you to change socks right there on the field so please always have both your socks on hand. (U11 to U18 play home & away games).
4. DO I NEED BLACK SHORTS?
All Hawks players are expected to play in black shorts. These may be purchased at registration, or you may use any black sport shorts (e.g. soccer, etc). Preferably, there will be no other colours on the shorts.
1. I'M REGISTERING LATE FOR THE SENIOR SEASON, HOW DO I JOIN A TEAM?
We would be happy to welcome new players to the Club and will do our best to find a team with available space. You can contact our Club Ambassadors that will learn more about your level of play and help find the best fit.
Field Hockey Club
2303 West 41st Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6M 2A3