WELCOME TO THE VANCOUVER HAWKS JUNIOR PROGRAMS
Vancouver Hawks Field Hockey Club operates a variety of programs for junior players (U5-U18) throughout the year. Our Club seeks to continue to develop and support programs which are in line with our mission to develop lifelong involvement in field hockey and with the principles of Canadian Sport for Life. The fundamental objectives are to maintain high quality coaching, a variety of programming, personal development experiences and fun though hockey and social connections. The Club also adheres to the True Sport Principles.
Field hockey is a late specialization sport and skills are continually developed and advanced in line with cognitive and physical development. Athletes 14 and under are encouraged to maintain participation in multiple sports.
Competitive and advanced skill opportunities are provided through the Hawks junior programs, FHBC programs and integration of junior-age players into the senior teams at approximately age 14. In this context, the Junior Spring Season remains primarily focused on social connections, skill development and fun. The Junior Spring Season also provides an opportunity for the older junior athletes to participate in coaching, umpiring and other volunteer roles, encouraging athletes to give back to the community and sport.
Vancouver Hawks 2020 Junior Spring Season Fees
Hawks Fees FHBC+FHC Fees Total
U5-U6 $145 $0 $145
U7 $145 $12 $157
U8 - U10 $145 $12 $157
U11 - U12 $190 $21 $211
U13 - U18 $190 $55 $245
Junior Spring Season
For 2020, the Junior Spring Season runs from the weekend of April 4/5 to the weekend of June 13/14.
The goal of Hawks Spring Season is to bring hockey to as wide and inclusive a group as possible, while having as much fun as possible!
The Spring Season is:
- Fun and engaging - practices are aimed at developing athlete's skills in both individual and team contexts while promoting a lifelong engagement with the sport. Many of our athletes go on to volunteer their time back to the program.
- Non-streamed - players of all abilities learn to cooperate as a group. New players are welcomed and stronger players are encouraged to take on mentoring roles.
- Run by volunteers - Hawks has a strong community presence and our volunteers are crucial to the running of the Club. Each Spring Season we count on hundreds of parents, players, coaches and umpires to volunteer their time to help provide the best experience possible.
Younger Players : U5 - U10
Junior Spring Season is a once-a-week commitment, with all training sessions on proper field hockey turf to make the perfect introduction to the sport.
- U5-U7 Co-ed : practice and small games on Saturday mornings at Eric Hamber turf.
- U8-U9 Girls : practice and inter-squad games on Monday, 5pm at Eric Hamber turf.
- U10 Girls : practice and inter-squad games on Tuesday, 5pm at Eric Hamber turf.
- U8-U10 Boys : practice and inter-squad games on Monday, 5pm at Eric Hamber turf.
Older Players : U11 - U18
Junior Spring Season offers one weeknight practice and a weekend game. Games are played against other clubs from around the Lower Mainland. Depending on the age group, games may be Saturday or Sunday and approximately half the games are home games, which are played in Vancouver. New players are always welcome at every age level.
Girls play in a Greater Vancouver Junior Field Hockey League (GVJFHL) structured in one-year age groups (U11, U12, U13, U14, U15, U16, and U17/U18). Boys play in two-year age groups (U12, U14, U16, U18) in the GVJFHL. For more on the GVJFHL, visit their website: GVJFHL
- U11 - U12 Girls : one weeknight practice (usually a couple of options at each age group) on either Eric Hamber or UBC turf and a modified (8v8), half field weekend game against other clubs.
- U12 Boys : practice Mondays, 6:30pm at Eric Hamber turf and a modified, half field weekend game against other clubs.
- U13 - U18 Girls : one weeknight practice (usually a couple of options at each age group) on either Eric Hamber or UBC turf and a full-field, weekend game.
- U14 - U18 Boys : one weeknight practice (posted as scheduling finalized) on either Eric Hamber or UBC turf and a full-field, weekend game.
Saturday - U11, U12, U14, U15
Sunday - U13, U16, U17/18
(note: U15 Girls have moved to Sat.; U16 Girls have moved to Sun.)
Saturday - U12, U16
Sunday - U14, U18
Holiday Weekends: Games will not be scheduled on the Easter or Victoria Day long weekends.
Junior Spring Season Registration
Late fees begin February 1, 2020 and we cannot guarantee placement on a team for late registrations
Welcome to the Vancouver Hawks Tournament Teams
These programs target enthusiastic and committed hockey players who are looking for coaching, training, and game play in addition to the GVJFHL practices and games. All participants must be club members and playing in the Junior Spring League with Vancouver Hawks.
The Tournament Team program includes 8-10 training sessions and the possibility of participating in up to three tournaments in May and June, including the BC Club Championships, Cowichan and India Club Tournaments.
Registration will open in January for these programs.
Thursday Night Skills Academy (Juniors)
Vancouver Hawks are offering weekly skills training for junior players (10-18 yrs old). With a focus on elevating basic skills with fast-paced drills, the sessions are targeted at those seeking to improve the fundamentals of their game. Suitable for club, high school, and provincial players. Not suitable for beginners.
- The focus will be on field hockey fundamentals: specific skills for possession, passing, elimination, goal scoring, and tackling will be highlighted, with an aim to improving speed and consistency.
- Some of Vancouver Hawks most experienced and highly qualified coaches will be involved in this program.
Time and Location
- Thursdays, 7-8:30pm, at UBC Wright Field.
- February 6, 13, 20, 27, March 5, 12
Registration for this program is open now! Visit the link below to register
Junior Pre-Season Tune-Up Registration
Space is limited for these popular sessions!
Junior Drop In
Hawks Junior Drop-In
Mondays 6:30pm - 8:00pm @ Hamber
Early July - End of August
Thursdays 6:30pm - 8:00pm @ Hamber
Early July - End of August
Friday Night Skills
Junior Fall Season
The Junior Fall Season is aimed at junior players keen to continue their hockey development throughout the year, and is open to U8 - U14 boys and girls.
11 sessions running from 13 September to end of November
(no practice or games over Thanksgiving weekend)
U8 - U10 Fridays (5:00 - 6:30pm)
U11 - U12 Fridays (5:00 - 6:30pm)
U13 - U14 Fridays (6:30 - 8:00pm)
Hawks coaches will run every session with a minimum ratio of 1 coach per 15 players, and a qualified head coach leading practices. Coaches will also be present for every game.
Participants are required to wear a Hawks Reversible Jersey (U8 - U12) or Hawks Senior Jersey (U13 - U14). If participants do not have a uniform from a previous program, or would like to purchase a new set, this can be ordered during online registration.You can access the store by this link
Junior Fall Season Fees
U8 - U10 $139 plus FHBC Fee $12 & Volunteer Bond $50
U11-U14 $159 plus FHBC Fee $21 & Volunteer Bond $50
There will be a late fee of $50 if you register after August 17th
FHBC membership will be added during registration and is mandatory. This fee can be waived during Junior registration in the following Spring as it is valid for the whole year (September 1 - August 31).
Teams will be entered into a Fall Junior League and games will be on Saturdays. Other teams in the league include West Van, Polar Bears, Sea to Sky, and Burnaby Bears.
Games @ UBC/Crofton/Mulgrave/Burnaby Lakes
Games will be scheduled on Saturdays and will be played home or away, one game per weekend.
U8-U10 combined - quarter field 60 minute games
U12 & U14 - half field 60 minute games
Please make sure your child brings a hockey stick, mouthguard, shinguards and a water bottle.
Field Hockey Club
2303 West 41st Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6M 2A3